The Beilstein-Institut was founded in 1951 as “Beilstein-Institut für Literatur der organischen Chemie” (Beilstein- Institut for literature of organic chemistry) as a nonprofit foundation. “The purpose of the foundation is exclusively and directly the promotion of the chemical sciences, in particular by continuing the publication of the Handbook of Organic Chemistry and related scientific articles.” (Excerpt from the original constitution of 1951).
The foundation continues to follow this purpose with the publication of the scientific articles in its journals. Technical advances, such as the internet, provide a publishing and distribution infrastructure, allowing us to operate independently of a publishing house. Today the staff of the Beilstein Editorial Office are embedded in a global scientific network of experts.